Monday, May 11, 2015

first trip to the Elkhorn this season

Four us from the shop ran down to the Elkhorn Creek in Kentucky on Friday.  Water level was perfect, but I think the water temperature was a little on the cool side.  Fishing was fine, but the smallies were not slamming the top water.  I found that the biggest fish were hanging in the sunny areas along the banks.  A lot of my normal spots did not produce, but I had success in some new areas.
I landed about 25-30 fish, with only a few dinks in the bunch.  One smallie slammed my bugger the minute it hit the water.
I picked up eight smallies below this riffle section.  One was the nicest of the day for me; he was sitting on the bank in the bright sun.


this was my "fly-of-the-day"

small pack comes in handy on a smallmouth stream

this right bank can produce some fun action

turtles do not like to be picked up.  they will fight back.

great colors in this run.  perfect for running a bead head streamer through.
Delamere & Hopkins
Hyde Park Square
2708 Erie Avenue
Cincinnati, OH  45208
(513) 871-FISH
shop@bestgear.com
Mon-Thurs 10-8
Fri-Sat  10-6
Sun 11-5

No comments:

Post a Comment