Monday, June 18, 2012

Father’s Day and Elkhorn Report

Wow, what a busy weekend!
Late last week Andrew Bowen from Key Bank invited me to a charity sporting clays shoot at Elk Creek Sporting Club and Vineyard. The event was a partnership between Key Private Bank and the Marvin Lewis Community fund. The proceeds went to support some of the Community Fund’s signature programs. The shooters were joined by a few current Bengal players. I was lucky enough to be assigned to shoot with Bengals’ Offensive Lineman, Matt O’Donnell. I couldn’t have been paired with a nicer, more down-to-earth guy. Also as a new shooter, he shot very well and helped the team average out. If you haven’t visited Elk Creek in a while, you owe it to yourself to explore the club. The sporting clays courses are first class and the restaurant and winery are extremely nice.


After working the shop floor most of the day Saturday, Nick and I set out to hit one of the many “Little Blue Line” streams that we know of. The water was quite low and the fish seemed a little lethargic, but eventually we hooked up. I hooked a nice one on a Todd’s Wiggle Minnow and Nick pulled a decent fish out on a “Chubby Muffin” streamer. We fished right up till dark and agreed we owe this spot a few more tries.

I woke at 4:00 a.m. on Sunday to head down to the Elkhorn. My friend and I hoped that by getting an early start we could avoid some of the Father’s Day canoes. The water was pretty low and a little off color, but we spotted several nice fish during the day. We both caught many fish, but nothing of size. By the time many of the canoes started showing up we were almost halfway done. I learn something new every time I fish the stream, especially when I get to fish in all kinds of conditions. Overall, we agreed it was a great day on the river.
Luke



No comments:

Post a Comment